Latest Blog Posts
- Do you have any thoughts on programs or stacks for learning web development?A friend asked me this recently and I wanted to capture my response. I’m curious to look back on it in a few years to see what will have changed. […]
- DuPage County HardcoreThere was a surprisingly robust hardcore music scene in the extremely suburban county I grew up in. I was never fully in that world for a lot of reasons; however, […]
- Pedro Pascal as AADL BranchesMy wife found pictures of Pedro Pascal that look like Ann Arbor District Library branches and it’s brilliant and hilarious: And a few extras of the interiors:
- A Stand for a Card and a DeckMade this stand to display a single card from the Inquire Within Oracle Deck. There’s a slot to hold the deck in its box and a slot to hold the […]
- iPhone audio not working on a 2015 Mazda5If your iPhone isn’t working with your Mazda5 the fix might be as simple as adding a song to your Music library. On a Mac I needed to do this […]
- Vinyl Record “Now Playing” ShelfFinally tackled this project to make an record shelf for our currently playing record! We’ve needed one for a while and I couldn’t stomach buying one when I knew it’d […]
Wait, Who Are You?
I’m Chris, a software engineer living in Ann Arbor! My goal is to help people find joy, order, and beauty through technology.
Before SkySpecs I worked at NewFoundry as a Software Engineer. Their team of strategists, designers, and engineers work closely together to help clients see their visions come to life. It’s a stellar team that does high quality work and I was lucky to be a part of it.
And before NewFoundry I made websites for small law firms with The Modern Firm. While there I was the Creative Director and Web Architect and I’m extraordinarily proud of how we solved our client’s marketing needs. If you’re a lawyer looking to grow your business you should contact them and take all of their advice.
And When You’re Not Working?
In 2019 I started a podcast with Andy Rau called Roll For Topic. Each episode we talk about a topic chosen by rolling on a d10 table. In 2021 we held our first convention and have plans for more. In 2022 we started a podcast network called “Roll For It Media” with our sibling show, The Splatbook.
In 2015, Steve Kemsley and Kyle Latino and myself started an independent videogame studio called Scope Creep Studios. We make simple and approachable games that make you think. I help out there with development (primarily in C#) and design.
In another life I did photography work under the auspices of Yes! Photo with my wonderful wife, Betsy. We now mostly stick to Instagram and occasional fun photo shoots. If you’re looking for a photographer in the area reach out to me for a recommendation.
I also used to be a maintainer at Workantile, a coworking community in downtown Ann Arbor. If you’re looking for a way to get out of your home office or a coffeeshop you should check them out. It’s a wonderful community.
In the digital world, I’m active on the local Ann Arbor and Ypsi mastodon instance. You can also email me at my first initial and last name at gmail.
Additional Highlighted Projects
In mid-2018 I edited and published the Ypsi-Arbor Gazette D&D Gazette.
In December 2018 I published A Christmas One Shot: Marley’s Scrooge Case.